Re: [vox-tech] cut and past under netscape - redux

On Mon 12 Mar 01, 11:40 AM, Micah Cowan said:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:25:20AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > I'm having a lot of problems with Netscape 6.0.  Here's the most
> > recent.  I received your post in the NS email program, and when I
> > clicked on the Opera URL above, the  program closed down.  Netscape 4.7
> > would have opened the browser and taken me right there.
>
> Don't use Netscape at all.  Use the latest version of Mozilla.  They
> have fixed many of the bugs, and the speed issues in particular.
> There are still many bugs remaining, but I have found it infinitely
> more palatable than Netscape 6 or 4.7.

yes, i would definitely agree with this.  mozilla became much more stable
than NS somewhere along the way.  remember how bad it was a year ago?  :)
they definitely made excellent progress.  but for me, mozilla still crashes
too often, esp when compared to my experience with opera.  couple of other
issues too, which would no doubt bore people, so let me just say that i
liked mozilla, but it's not quite right for me.

i think the biggest issue is that the netscape code is just too broken to be
fixed.  it's like trying to defend a theorem based on a flawed premise.
can't be done unless you go back and change the premise.

it might have been better for the mozilla team to scrap the code and start
from scratch.  i would be willing to bet (in a hypothetical sense) that if
you add up the man hours it will take for them to fix all bugs that came
pre-mixed in the NS batter, it would prolly equal the man hours it would've
taken to write a new system from scratch.

> I have seen Opera, but don't like the idea of paying for my browser.
> And Mozilla is Free Software, which to me makes it go down real smooth
> ;)

very true.  but i have no problem paying for high quality software that
performs as advertised.  good programmers need to eat (the bad ones can
go hungry until they crank out quality product).  and at 20 bucks, i see it
more akin to leaving a tip for good service rather than paying for the meal.

pete

--
"Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org
       -- Kathryn Janeway on the virtues of coffee           www.dirac.org/p