January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

> 1. make /etc/resolv.conf world writable:   chmod ugo+rwx /etc/resolv.conf
> 2. make a PPP connection as a normal user
> 3. see if it works
> 4. change resolv.conf back to rw-r--r--:   chmod 644 /etc/resolv.conf

Pete,

        Yes, it works. That is, with the write permissions established, kppp
does comment out the original file and put the temporary ns information there,
just as it did when logged in as root before.

        But since the important information of a hand-written file is sticking
around (at least so far), there's no need to upset the kibbitzers.

        By the way, can any recommend a good book which covers this
sort of beginner's info -- what these config files do, how they get written,
and where to find them -- as wel as basic maneuvering suggestions. Most
entry-level book assume one will never have any need for console mode or
term windows.

Thanks again,

Larry