Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

>> >     #
>> >     # /etc/resolv.conf
>> >     #
>> hmmm.   this looks like a problem to me.  it's been awhile since i've
>> worried about modems, but i'm pretty sure you need nameservers here.

Pete and Henry,

    You're right. When logged in as root, kppp overwrites the file from
a temporary source to look like this:

    domain dcn.davis.ca.us          #kppp temp entry
    #
    # /etc/resolv.conf
    #
    nameserver 168.150.253.2        #kppp temp entry
    nameserver 168.150.253.1        #kppp temp entry

But it reverts immediately after disconnection. While logged in as a
lesser user I was able to "su" in a term window and edit the file to
include the domain and the two nameserver entries and get out into the
world. Connecting again later as root deleted the second nameserver but
left the domain and first nameserver entries intact. I wish I knew how
to control the rewrites, but for now, I'm in business. There are two
files with names resolve.conf.YaST2Save and resolve.conf.YaST2Save.o in
the /etc dir, but editing them doesn't affect the rewriting of
resolve.conf.

Thank you for your help!

Larry