Re: [vox-tech] Nameserver confusion with non-root users

On Sun 11 Mar 01,  5:57 PM, Larry Snyder said:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:49:51 -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >> i guess the most important question here is - can you ping a IP number?
> >> that is, can you ping 216.115.108.245
>
> Pete,
>
>     In a word, yes. Both as root and as mere user with no packet loss.

ok, we've established that the connection is made for when both root and
user make the connection.

so nameserving isn't working when user makes the connection, but it is when
root makes the connection.  that's pretty strange.  since everything is ok
for root, your /etc/resolv.conf is prolly good.

1. make a connection as user and type "ifconfig".  you should see something
   like:

ppp0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:F0:48:DF:5A
          inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

make sure "inet addr" is present.   make sure it's the same IP that gets
assigned according to /var/log/messages (look at the end of the file).

2. make a connection as user and look at the output of "route -n".  your
   best bet is to save it to a file, and post it to vox-tech.

pete

ps- can you also post "ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd"?