Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian?

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> cool.  it /should/ be put into the debian faq; the question pops up from
> time to time on the debian-user mailinglist.
>
> come to think of, maybe i'll send a bug report to debian.  libncurses5-dev
> should be recommended by the kernel-source package.   currently, the package
> description says that you need libncurses-dev, but someone installing via
> apt-get won't see this (you'll see it on dselect or capt).  a recommendation
> is different from listing the package requirement in the description of
> kernel-source*.
>
> henry, what do you think?  am i being too nitpicky?

Actually it does mention it here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-post-install.en.html#s-kernel-baking

> it's definitely misleading.  the ncurses package itself only provides
> terminfo data.  the dev package provides the header files and static libs.

The first place I read just mentioned that you need ncurses and I
thought I have ncurses or else dselect would not work.

Next Step compiling my first kernel for debian :)

Stephen