Re: [vox-tech] compiling kernel's in debian?

On Thu 08 Mar 01,  9:35 AM, Mytho X said:
> Well I am looking at the compiling a new kernel section 8.5) of
> Installing Debian and it looks like a am not doing it the debian way.  I
> will write back with more info if I cannot get it to work the debian
> way.  I am still fairly new to debian, but not for long :)
>
> Stephen
>
> Mytho X wrote:
>
> > Is there anything special I should know about to compile a kernel in
> > debian?  I am having some trouble with it.
> >
> > I used dselect to download the kernel (kernel-2.2.18pre21).
> > Then bzcat kernel-2.2.18pre21 | tar xvf -
> > and then ln -s kernel-2.2.18pre21 linux
> >
> > I backed up my old files and tried to do a make menuconfig and it errors
> > out,

telling us that it "errors out" without telling us the error is strange.
using my scroll of ESP, i'm going to guess that you need to install an
ncurses dev package.  try

apt-get install libncurses5-dev
apt-get install libncurses4-dev

i'd be willing to bet that one of them will do it (i believe it's 5, so try
that one first).  but in the future, please tell us what the error is!

> I then tried a make xconfig and that errors out.

i'm not familiar enough with xconfig to know why it "errors out", and i used
my last scroll of ESP for the menuconfig problem above.  however, i can make
an educated guess.

i'm willing to bet that it's either a tcl thing or a tk thing.  you probably
don't have the correct package installed.  try installing anything like
"tcl8.2", "tck8-dev", "tk" or "tk-dev".   this is where dselect shines.

btw, don't use xconfig.

> So I did a make config and that worked.

it's hard to argue with a pure text interface!   :-)

> > Did the make dep , clean , bzImage and now I can not find bzImage anywhere.

after your kernel compiles, it will tell you the name if the directory where
the kernel image is, along with how big the image is.  if you press return a
few times, it'll scroll off the screen.

the image is (assuming i386 architecture) in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot.

if bzImage isn't there, you definitely encountered compilation problems.
i've found that the kernel source that ships with redhat, mandrake, corel
and suse will not compile, and i have no friggin idea why.  on those
systems, i just download a new tarball from kernel.org.

debian is the only distro that i've had 100% success in compiling the kernel
that comes with the distro itself.

hth,
pete

ps- i recently stumbled across "capt", which is a curses interface to apt.
it has all the strengths of dselect, all the strengths of apt, and none of
the weaknesses of either.  well, you need ncurses to run it, but i don't
consider that a weakness.

it's not nearly as confusing as dselect, but otoh, it shows you exactly the
dependencies, a description of the package and whether it's installed,
removed, not present or purged from your system.  all at the press of a
button.  i'm surprised it's not more popular.