Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install

On Wed 07 Mar 01,  2:09 PM, Mark K. Kim said:
> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > why laugh?  you can pull packages off the net through a modem connection.
> > makes it so we have all the packages suse has, but we don't have to put
> > all our packages on a gazillion cd's.
>
> Well, but we're talking about bootdisks for installation.  After a
> successful installation, there shouldn't be a need for a bootdisk, whether
> you have a SCSI or IDE hard drive.  Then the kernel on the hard drive can
> take care of the PCMCIA stuff, and you can use the PCMCIA modem to
> update packages.  But for installation, you probably wouldn't use a modem
> to install because that would take ga-::stretch out arms::-zillion
> years!

ok, you got me there!  :-)  but i have installed from a modem, and it was
pretty painless.  only took a couple of hours, which is kind of reasonable
when you're doing homework (or research) and you can look over your shoulder
every so often to check on how the install is going.  wasn't bad at all.

a matter of style!   :)

pete