Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > The last Compaq laptop I worked on used an IDE CDROM.
>
> you killed my joke.  murderer.   :)

Sorry! :)

> why laugh?  you can pull packages off the net through a modem connection.
> makes it so we have all the packages suse has, but we don't have to put
> all our packages on a gazillion cd's.

Well, but we're talking about bootdisks for installation.  After a
successful installation, there shouldn't be a need for a bootdisk, whether
you have a SCSI or IDE hard drive.  Then the kernel on the hard drive can
take care of the PCMCIA stuff, and you can use the PCMCIA modem to
update packages.  But for installation, you probably wouldn't use a modem
to install because that would take ga-::stretch out arms::-zillion
years!

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim