Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Laptop Install
  • From: "Mark K. Kim" <mkkiMAPSm@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:53:05 -0800

If you have an IDE CDROM, and if you can boot off of it, then you don't
need a PCMCIA boot disk.

If your CDROM isn't IDE (ie - PCMCIA) then I *think* you need a PCMCIA
boot disk.

Generally, you don't.

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> although i suppose that some bozo out there designed a laptop with
> cdrom card interface.  probably compaq;

The last Compaq laptop I worked on used an IDE CDROM.

> however, if you want card services (like a modem, net card or some
> laptops use this interface for floppies), then you'll want to use the
> pcmcia boot disk.

Well, you wouldn't need a PCMCIA boot disk if you had a PCMCIA floppy
drive, 'cause the assumption is that you can access the floppy drive in
the first place to boot off of it.  You also wouldn't need a PCMCIA boot
disk to get access to the modem... unless you were planning on installing
linux over a modem connection :P

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim