Re: [vox-tech] two nice vim tips

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] two nice vim tips
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.MAPScom>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:07:47 -0800

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 03:33:31PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> this macro maps the home key to format your paragraphs according to what
> your textwidth is.

good info dude!  I use the following, which works in VIM, and uses's VIM's
internal reformating...

map <C-W> j{gq}

  j       jump down a line        ( setup for the next command)
  {       return to top of paragraph
  gq      reformat
  }       to end of paraphraph

This version should be faster than the spawning of 'fmt', as well as the
j{ make it so the key (in this case ctrl-W) hit anywhere in a paragraph
will cause that entire paragraph to be reformatted, and then properly
positioned for the next paragraph should you choose to linger on the
ctrl-w key.

> map <kHome> !}fmt --width='.&tw<Home>exec '<End><CR>
> don't ask me to parse it.  this one is beyond me.   :-)

  !       pipe from this line
  }       to end of paraphaph
and the rest doesn't make much sense to me either.  the .&tw I don't
recognize and couldn't make work in my VIM session (though obviously the
intention is clear), and the <Home> and <End> seem out of place.  Perhaps
something in the select and paste process screwed that bit up.... ?

> vim:tw=86:
> %vim:tw=86
> % vim:tw=86:

the 'gq' version above uses's the same 'tw' setting that the fmt variant uses.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/