Re: [vox-tech] Re: email question?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: email question?
  • From: Micah Cowan <micaMAPSh@cowanbox.com>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 14:34:38 -0800

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:17:57PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 27 Feb 01,  1:01 PM, Micah Cowan said:
> >
> > Pete, vrfy is usually switched off.  I note that it is on for gnu.org
> > :)
>
> kinda sorta.  although, i would highly disagree with the word "usually".
> i did a little experiment:
>

> turned on                  turned off
> ---------------------      --------------
> debian.org                 mother.com
> most of *.ucdavis.edu      mail.mp3.com
> mail.sex.com               mail.altavista.com
> mail.orgy.com              mail.msnbc.com
> mail.linux.com             networksolutions.com
> lesbian.com                mail.eff.org
> hp.com                     mail.freshmeat.org
> telnet.org
> www.metalsludge.com
> mail.sourceforget.net
> your employer, micah[*]
>

> [*] whaddya know. there's a p@neon.transmeta.com. can you introduce us?  :)
>      we p's are tortured souls.  i was thinking of starting a support group.

Pete, you should really double-check these things.  One of the ways
I've found vrfy to be turned off (including, as it turns out, my new
employer), is to simply acknowledge /every/ address you ask it for.
This is obviously not very helpful - you can double check by trying
unlikely names, such as

vrfy <nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn>

-Micah