Re: [vox-tech] Ultra DMA support

This is very odd because RedHat 7.0 should support DMA33.

What *might* be happening (a total random guess that I like to do from
time to time) is that RedHat 7.0 may also support DMA66, and your board
has DMA66, so Linux tries to access your hard drive as DMA66, even though
the hard drive is only capable of DMA33.  Anyone know if this could
happen?  My version of Linux (Mandrake 7.1) thinks my board only supports
DMA33 (even though the board supports DMA66 and I do have an DMA66 hard
drive.)

Whether that's actually true or not, the problem can't be with the *lack*
of support for DMA33, and upgrading to kernel 2.4 may or may not fix the
problem.  If my random guess is correct, there must be a way to tell the
kernel not to use DMA66 but use DMA33 instead... anyone know?

If you want to try installing kernel 2.4x and see if that fixes the
problem, that's certainly something we can a try.  The LUGOD CD assumes
you already have access to Linux, so we'll have to figure out a way to get
access your Linux partition.  If my random guess is correct, an older
kernel (one that understands DMA33 but not DMA66) might work -- looks like
Tom's Root Boot that Henry recommended has kernel 2.0.36, so that should
work.  So try booting with Tom's Root Boot, mount the hard drive(s) and
the LUGOD CD, and copy over the 2.4x from the CD to the hard drive, then
compile and install it.  Or it might be simpler to just copy over Tom's
Root Boot's kernel over to your hard drive instead.  Whichever path you
choose, it's going to take quite a few complicated steps.  I'm not sure if
it'll work, but my first idea is to do this:

   1. Boot with Tom's Root Boot.
   2. Mount the hard drives.
   3. Copy Tom's Root Boot's kernel and System.map to the hard drive
      somewhere.
   4. Chroot to the place the hard drives are mounted.
   5. Move the kernel and System.map to /boot, update /etc/lilo.conf,
      run lilo.
   6. Reboot.

That may or may not work but that's what I'd try first.

Good luck!

-Mark

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Joshua Poppe wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't specific enough.  Here is more info.
>
> 1. I am using Redhat 7.0 so I think a 2.2x kernel??
> 2.  I am planning to instal the kernel 2.4x that was distributed on the
> latest LUGOD CD
> 3. this is hopefully an upgrade
> 4. I can boot off of a floppy and off of a CDROM (but only to the point
> where Linux tries to mount the HD.
> 5. CDROM is bootable
> 6. I have a netgear 10/100 that I have used under Linux before.  I connect
> to internet through a proxy using that card.  There are two other computers
> on that network.
> 7.  My HD only supports DMA 33 because it is rather old.  I would say that
> using Linux without DMA would be a last resort.
>
> I think that I am going to try and use a rescue disk that has a compatable
> version of the kernel on it, and then follow the kernel HOWTO.  Thanks once
> again for the help.
>
> Joshua Poppe

---
Mark K. Kim