January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Ultra DMA support

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 05:35:36PM -0800, Joshua Poppe wrote:
> I have decided that I need to upgrade my kernel in order to get DMA 33
> supported for Linux.  Right now I am not able to boot into Linux off of the
> drive or a floppy.  How can I upgrade the kernel on a boot disk or my hard
> drive or whatever without booting into Linux?  Is that even possible?  I
> really have no idea where to start with a kernel upgrade.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!

Yes, but your best bet is to use the Red Hat Rescue disk to get back into
Linux. If that doesn't work, I suggest you get tomsrtbt (Tom's Root Boot), a
single-floppy Linux distribution. I believe you can write the floppy image
from a Windows machine using rawrite. Boot it up, mount your drive, and start
fixing. URL:

        http://www.toms.net/rb/

See also the other mini distributions on Freshmeat:

        http://freshmeat.net/browse/665/

Once your system is booting, you may use the instructions in the Kernel HOWTO
to install a kernel. URL:

        http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Let me know if you need any more help. The more specific the request, the
better!

--
Henry House