Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Large File Support

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Large File Support

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> jeff, here is a post to the kernel mailing list by the author of the ext2
> filesystem.  at this point, you're calling him wrong, not me.
>
>       http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9912.3/0042.html
>
> here's the highlight:
>

>       o The problem lies with ISO/ANSI C's fseek()/ftell(), which use a "long"
>       for the offset.  Why fpos_t wasn't used (consistently!) is beyond me, but
>       hindsight is 20/20.  AFAIK, these are the only two functions that *must*
>       break if >2GB files are permitted with 32-bit longs.  Other functions
>       *can* break (like the present case), but aren't *required* to break by
>       the POSIX+C standards.
>

> what is your reply to theodore ts'o?

Now that I actually go and look at the URL you referenced, it seems
appropriate to point out that the text you snagged was not written by
Ts'o... it just looks that way due to improper message quoting. It was
written by Chuck Phillips (look at the "maybe in reply to" link). Ted was
being rather more circumspect in his opinion of ANSI/ISO than Chuck was.
And he also noted the freedom to use structs ... he just didn't
extrapolate from that like I did.

> it occurs to me that fsetpos and fseekpos aren't solutions, either.  simply
> because of all the code that's already out there that use fseek and ftell.

I suppose the proof is in how well patched VA's RH distro (userland code)
is for supporting LFS.  Let us know, eh, Eric? :)