Re: [vox-tech] how does umask work?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:10:28AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> are you sure?
no.
> % umask 1111
> bash: umask: `1111' is not an octal number from 000 to 777
You're right, doen't work. :-(
> i think you're thinking of chmod, not umask.
Actually I'm thinking of umask(2). But I just tried a test program and that
didn't work either; the leftmost digit seems to be ignored.o

The issue here is that umask(2) will never make permissions less restrictive
than requested, only more restrictive.

--
Henry House