Re: [vox-tech] persistant aliases under bash?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:47:12PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Again, ~/.bashrc wasn't meant to serve this purpose.
>
> i find this hard to believe.  where do you get this from?

Why is it hard to believe?

The bash manpage states that ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc are for
non-login shells.  Which happens to be what an xterm is.  It doesn't
follow that they are only invoked from xterm or other X terminal
emulators.  Any invocation of bash which didn't come from "login" will
invoke ~/.bashrc.

A couple examples:

Typing "bash" at the command-line

Typing "!" from within "ftp".

Neither of these are graphical examples.

The official rc script for graphical environements is ~/.xinitrc or
~/.xsession, depending on whether or not you use xdm or similar.
These are still not run when you invoke a terminal emulator, but
rather when you start up X (as you already know).  Things like xmodmap
ought to be specified there.

> pete

Micah