Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Large File Support

On Tue 27 Mar 01, 12:25 PM, Micah Cowan said:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:56:26AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > eric, first, let me tell you the reason for the limit in the first place.
> >
> > the 2GB limit isn't linux's fault.  it's the fault of the ISO/ANSI C team.
> > many operating systems use the (what i call) "strange" data types like
> > fpos_t and off_t.  these functions *can* break when you deal with files
> > larger than 2GB.  the answer is to retypedef the wierd data types.  to wit:
> >
> > ssize_t write(int fd, const void *buf, size_t count);
> >  ^                                      ^
> >  |                                      |
> > wierd                                 wierd
> >
> > i think you can get the definitions for these wierd types in types.h.
> >
> > however, there are functions like fseek() and ftell() which use a good old
> > fasioned "long int" for the offset, and you can't play around with that.
> >

> > AFAIK, 2.2.18 does not support files larger than 2GB without a kernel patch.
> > i do believe, though, that the patch made it into the 2.3 kernel.
>
> write() isn't ISO/ANSI C.  It's POSIX.
>
> And actually, fpos_t is the /solution/ to the problem, not the cause
> of it

oh my god.  micah, please re-read my post.

i said it was the "long int" that causes the problem you can't get around.
i never said fpos_t was the problem.  where did you get that from?

and there is no "solution" to the problem because ISO/ANSI specifies that
fseek takes a long int argument.  you can't get around that.

hence, no easy "solution".

your reading comprehension has gone way down today!

> (off_t isn't ISO/ANSI C either).  The fact that fseek() and

i didn't say that.  the prototypes are determined by ISO/ANSI C.

do you want me to give you a reference?

> This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

unless you want files bigger than 2 GB.

micah, please spend a bit more time reading my posts.  it's causing a lot of
useless traffic.

peter