Re: [vox-tech] persistant aliases under bash?

On Tue 27 Mar 01, 11:55 AM, Micah Cowan said:

> That's completely non-sequitur.  /etc/profile isn't loaded in xterm.
> /etc/bashrc is.  So try /exactly/ the same trick with /etc/bashrc,
> don't bother to source it (but do save it) and open a new xterm.

micah, you're causing me to lose my hair.  please read carefully.

i want my aliases in both console and X.   i care more about console since i
spend 75% of my time in a non-graphical environment.  the few times my
computer is in X is mostly playing quake.  but i WOULD like my aliases under
X as well.

> This is completely useless behavior for me, so here is the complete
> contents of my ~/.bash_profile:

> # .bash_profile
> if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]
> then
>       . ~/.bashrc
> fi

this is a /rotten/ way of doing things.  on an aesthetic level, you've
completely demolished the division between startup files for graphical and
text environments.  ugly.

on a practical level, doing this would cause errors for me because i use
xmodmaps in my bashrc.

on another practical level, i define my PATH sparsely under console, and add
things like /usr/X11/bin ONLY when i'm in a graphical environment.  this
speeds up finding executables.   so i /like/ the distinction between the
graphical and console startup files.

pete

ps- currently, i have my aliases in /etc/bash.aliases which gets sourced
both by profile and bashrc.   but i'm still interested in my original
question.

pps- you're still wrong (about the persistance of aliases into subshells),
but you don't know it because you concentrated on my typo between profile and
bashrc.  follow these instructions, please, for the sake of my sanity.

1. kill X
2. at the console, type alias ff='df -h'
3. start X.  launch an xterm.
4. type "ff".
5. see the lovely error message.

if you agree with what i just typed, then your answer to me was non-sequitar
because this was the claim i was making!!