Re: [vox-tech] Kernel 2.4

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Kernel 2.4
  • From: Harry Souders <gnulinux@rosecomputMAPSing.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:10:31 -0800

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:05:15PM -0500, George Thomas Finch wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>     I've recently installed a new system with Red Hat 7.0, the install I might
> add was much faster and easier than the last 10 attempts at installing Win98
> for others.

When RH7.0 first came out I installed in on a system. Been happy with it
for the most part.

>     Since the box does not have any critical data on it yet, I thought I'd try
> compiling kernel 2.4 (from the LUGOD CD). Weekend project.  If the system is
> not bootable afterwards I wil not feel bad reinstalling everything.

With a bit of luck and taking the right precautions you shouldn't have
to reinstall everything.

>     Does any know of a good source of info on how to compile a new Kernel?
> I've found some good how-to's but they all seem to have some extra notes about
> each kernel, 2.2 for example.  Does anyone know of a good source that is 2.4
> specific?

One of the first things I did to the RH7.0 system mentioned was to
recompile the kernel. I grabbed the source from http://www.kernel.org/ .
I suppose it might have been more correct to get source RPM's, but I
just went to the source to get the source.

Here are some suggestions:

        Make a boot floppy (and test it)
        Have a LinuxCare bootable CD around (very handy)
        Read enough about LILO so that you are reasonably sure that you
can boot from your old kernel as well as the new one.
        Back up anything remotely important
        Instructions on compiling the kernel come with the source code
(last I checked)

Good Luck.

As regards computering, Murphy was an optomist.