RE: RE: [vox-tech] lert and windows millenium

  • Subject: RE: RE: [vox-tech] lert and windows millenium
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_admin@mMAPSy-deja.com>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:11:59 -0800

I got Mandrake 7.2 (and I just love KDE and esp. Konqueror, which beats the heck out
of Nutscrape), anyway, I did a lnx4win install and it worked fine. Matter-of-fact, I
don't even do windows anymore! I will use whatever works for my purposes, and I am
happy to report that, so far, Linux can do it all! We're getting closer... Anyway, I
get the OS loader and it defaults to linux, which is fine. I haven't missed windows at
all. I'll have to start burnin' CDs and re-touching my wife's photos before I am
completely convinced... but so far, so great. Mandrake 7.2 is a gigantic improvement
over previous boxed editions. If you're at all unhappy with an older boxed version,
give Mandrake 7.2 a shot. Perhaps the other distros have improved along the same lines
(?). Hopefully, when MS shoots themselves in the foot with their underhanded tactics
(breaking anything Linux, restrictive licensing, overpriced bloatware) Linux will be
ready enough for the great unwashed masses to plugin and !
 pl!
ay! Let's face it, a desktop OS and a server are two different things. It *should*
take a sysadmin to adminster a server, and my mother *should* be able to successfully
use a desktop OS with a minimum of fuss. Heck, we'll all be using linux PDAs pretty
soon!

>> I tried to install Caldera 2.4 after a Millenium install, and the Caldera Edition
>Partition Magic would not install properly. Specifically: I got icons created for
>"uninstall PM" and "delete Linux partition", but none for "Create Linux partition". I
>thought it was odd, but I wasn't surprised. I have done this successfully many times
>with Win95/98/SE. I saw a "Linux for Windows" Mandrake box at Fry's that specifically
>mentioned Win 95/98/Me and thought about that for $20 as I am on vacation and want to
>dig further into scripting (ksh, sed, awk, perl) before I go back to work.
>
>That happened to me at the last IF also.  I thought it was me.
>
>FL

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/