Re: [vox-tech] Kernel 2.4

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Kernel 2.4
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@MAPSdirac.org>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:19:26 -0800

On Fri 09 Feb 01, 12:05 PM, George Thomas Finch said:
> Hello All,
>
>     Since the box does not have any critical data on it yet, I thought I'd try
> compiling kernel 2.4 (from the LUGOD CD). Weekend project.  If the system is
> not bootable afterwards I wil not feel bad reinstalling everything.

george, just because a system isn't bootable afterwards doesn't mean you
have to reinstall your system.

if your system truly becomes unbootable, email me, and i *PROMISE* i'll be
able to get your system back.  just don't delete the old kernel.

>     Does any know of a good source of info on how to compile a new Kernel?

unfortunately not; you've seen the howto's and my kenrel compile notes which
prolly have less info than the howtos.  just make liberal use of ? (in
menuconfig).   talk with people who you know compile the kernel on a regular
basis; there's a few of us out there.  i'm always tinkering with kernel
stuff.

best advice i can give you:

1. keep a rescue disk around and be familiar with lilo -r.

2. keep lert in mind.  we're your safety net.

3. don't delete the old kernel.

4. if you can't remember whether you ran lilo, run it anyway.  it's
   impossible to run lilo too many times.

pete

--
"It's a two-way street, but not for them to get into you."   p@dirac.org