Re: [vox-tech] ssh/telnet security question

On Tue 06 Feb 01,  2:47 PM, Jan Wynholds said:
> A while back, there was some mention (I think it was
> Pete) of using telnet and ssh.

yep, that was me.  you even used the same host names.   ;)

> Here is what I remember:  If you use client A to
> contact telnet server B, then ssh from B to ssh server
> C, then the transmissions from A to B, and from B to C
> all become subject to cracking/sniffing.  I have a
> question about another case.  What if A and B are on a
> firewalled/masqueraded (and the configuration of both
> is secure) local net, while C exists somewhere out on
> the internet.  Are the transmissions from (A to B and)
> B to C still at risk for cracking/sniffing?
>
> My guts tell me no (b/c of the masq/firewall), but I
> am very new to this sort of analysis.

if you can insure that the local net is absolutely secure (like it's your
living room), then telnet between A and B then ssh out onto the net from B
to C is perfectly safe from all sniffing attacks with the one notable
exception of carnivore.   :-)

pete  <-- has been waiting for dr bishop to speak to lugod for over a year
    and now has to miss the meeting.    :-(