Re: [vox-tech] lert and windows millenium

On Mon 05 Feb 01, 12:29 AM, Foo Lim said:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>>
>>> i want to report on a lert call i went to today to vox-tech.
>>>
>>> the task was to rescue a dual boot install which went sour.  the person used
>>> fdisk to split up the windows partition.  needless to say, the partitions
>>> weren't salvagable.
>>
>> I have never had this happen (in my "several" not "dozens" of times using
>> FIPS).  Perhaps they used the old FIPs... that isn't designed for FAT32
>> partitions.
>
> Was there info on the partition that was split with fdisk?  I think that
> was what destroyed all the data, so you couldn't do anything about it
> anyway.

yup -- that was point.  fdisk can't cut partitions in half; it just creates
'em and destroys 'em.

so i knew it was toast!  :)

> > Mmm... since Foo (??) helped set one up at the last IF, I guess that is
> > supported.  You just, as always, have to install M$ first and then adjust
> > partitions and then install Linux.
>
> Yeah, I did a few of these, and this is the way to go if you had Win
> installed.  I would still install Win first, so it won't mess with the
> MBR and screw up lilo.

never installed linux before windows on a dual boot before.  usually,
there's already windows on the machine, and you install linux.  this time,
the system was pretty much blank.

i might as well give my mistaken reason for installing linux first.  i was
seeing if i could get around using fips or partition magic.

linux fdisk knows about fat+ext2/ext2swap partition.  i was hoping to
partition the 1st 2 partitions for windows, last 2 for linux (including
extended).  linux would install itself on the last 2.  the HOPE was that
windows would see 2 empty fat partitions and install itself in them.

it would appear that i was sadly mistaken.

pete