Re: [vox-tech] new member needs help about DSL

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] new member needs help about DSL
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <MAPSp@dirac.org>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:22:36 -0800

On Sat 03 Feb 01,  1:50 PM, Sep Dadsetan said:
> Okay, I tried to run apt-get from the xadminmenu and it told me that there's
> a source code error on line 3 of /apt/sources.list

is sources.list really in /apt?   if so, then i call for a ban on libranet.

post your /apt/sources.list  (or what is hopefully /etc/apt/sources.list).
here's mine (note, you would change all instances of "woody" with "potato".

deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

> This was the same file I
> needed to alter to get KDE2 running which i never did get running.

i'm not sure that's correct.  sources.list is a list of URL's (URI's) that
your operating system looks to in order to get updates and bug fixes.

> I also need to get modules and need to get some other stuff off the
> net, and I'm guessing my stuff isn't configured properly.

libranet is based on debian 2.2r0.  i wish we had installed regular debian,
in which case you would have debian 2.2r2, and would have avoided the whole
mess of an outdated modutils.

this is a wonderfully circular problem -- need to upgrade to get net access.
need to get net access to upgrade.   after thinking about it for awhile,
here's what needs to happen:

   someone with debian 2.2r2 cd's needs to go over there and upgrade your
   system.  you might want to consider ixnaying libranet and just going with
   vanilla debian.

maybe a lert call is in order.  someone will have to take it for me; i'm
going on 2 lert calls tomorrow: installing redhat dual boot in the morning
and helping configure a 2nd ethernet card in late morning/early afternoon.
that's enough lugod work for me this weekend.   :)

pete

there once was a man from tennessee,
who loved to use vim cause it's free.
he wrote email for a bit,