Re: [vox-tech] learned a new bash thing today

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:32:25PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> GNU sucks somewhat.  i've gotten gdb to do some hardcore segfaulting.  i
> went through the hassle of downloading the gdb sourcecode, recompiling the
> whole shebang from the start with debugging symbols and sending GNU a
> backtrace along with the core file and the code that crashed gdb.
>
> didn't hear a peep out of them.   true, they might have fixed whatever was
> wrong, but a "message received" would've been nice...

Hmmm, be wary of such generalizations. I've had great success with bug
reports on GNU tools, especially packages under active development. E.g.:

Gnumeric --- I've gotten personal e-mails from the developer in charge of
bug-squashing letting me know either that the bug is fixed or soliciting more
information. And no complaints that I'm using obscure hardware that no one
cares about and that is famous for tickling bugs in 64-bit dirty code.

Oleo --- got back a form e-mail giving me the name of the developer assigned
to squash the bug.

--
Henry House