Re: [vox-tech] learned a new bash thing today

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:36:03PM -0800, Mark Kim wrote:
> Looked at it, couldn't figure it out, said "forget it".  Let me know if
> any of you figure it out.
>
> One thing I did notice is that you can have one binding per command, so I
> can't map both the arrow key and the command-mode-j/k keys to the
> history.  sad.
>
> -Mark

The relevent part for your ~/.inputrc file is relatively straightforward:

On my computer, under an X terminal emulator, the up-arrow is
<escape>[A, and the down-arrow is <escape>[B.  So to bind these to the
appropriate history commands would be to put the following lines in:

"\e[A": previus-history
"\e[B": next-history

Pete - you mentioned something about a "double-click" type thing: if
you use bash, you can always type !! and hit enter, which will run the
last command you did.  But you probably knew that.  If you didn't know
that, then you might also want to know that you can type ! and then
the first word of a line in your history, and it will run that line.
If you follow that word (or the !!) with ":p", it will display that
line instead of re-running it.

Micah