Re: Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2

> the upgrade from 2.2.16 to 2.2.18 shouldn't be a
> problem (no guarentees
> though).   the upgrade to 2.4.0 might require
> certain things like procps and
> almost certainly modutils to be updated.
>
> 2.4.0 has new ISA probing features that 2.2.* didn't
> really have.  ISA
> probing is considered risky business, but the 2.4
> series seems to have a new
> way of probing ISA devices safely (i don't know the
> details yet).  so it's
> possible that you'll have better hardware support.
> or at least, more
> convenient hw support.

I have found that with RHL 7.0, the isapnp utils that
come with the distro will crash and burn the 2.4.2
kernel.  When I tried to 'pnpdump' on my newly
compiled kernel, I locked up the machine hard.  Had to
unplug :(.  At least that was the _only_ problem that
I have had with 2.4.2.  Other than that, everything
worked fine for me.

> otoh, some of the drivers got split, like the
> rtl8129/8139.  so you'll have
> to do a little reading during menuconfig.
>

> realize that you can't hurt anything by compiling a
> kernel, as long as you
> remember the following rules:
>
> 1. don't delete a working kernel.  don't delete it's
> /lib/modules.  make
>     sure you leave its lilo.conf entry in place.
> 2. run lilo.  if you can't remember if you ran lilo,
> run lilo.
> 3. use oldconfig if you have a .config in the old
> source tree.
> 4. make use of vox-tech.  we've got some really
> great people here.

Great advice.

> if something goes wrong, you can always go back to
> the working kernel.

If you're like me, probably many times b4 it's 'just
the way that you want it.'

> pete
>
> ps- jay, if you're running a 2.2.16 kernel, you
> should considering buying
> (or downloading) a more recent version of the distro
> and upgrading.   :)

I have a copy of RHL 7.0 CD's if someone would like to
borrow.  Just email me off list.

Earlier on this thread, there was a question as to why
someone would want to compile a new kernel and use
it...  I really don't have a good reason for why I did
it, other than, I could.  Curiosity killed the cat, i
guess.

/* my $.02 */