Re: [vox-tech] Re: email question?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: email question?
  • From: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.cMAPSom>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:47:48 -0800

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:13:12PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> this might be of interest to other people, so i'm posting the answer:
>

> sure.  check out this example:
>
> % telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 asmodeus.diablo.localnet ESMTP Exim 3.20 #1 Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:08:44 -0800
> vrfy nouserherebythatname
> 550 <nouserherebythatname> is not deliverable
> vrfy p
> 250 <p> is deliverable
>

> telnet to port 25 of the host in question, and use the vrfy command.
> there's also expn, but it's usually turned off.  type help for help.  :)
>
> hth!

Pete, vrfy is usually switched off.  I note that it is on for gnu.org
:)

When you encounter MTAs with both expn and vrfy disallowed, the
standard practice is to go through the entire mail-send process,
through data, whereupon it will divulge whether the mail was
accepted.  Then use rset before quit.

Micah