Re: Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2

heh.  someday i'd REALLY like to hack the kernel, so i try to read about
this stuff with every spare second i get (and sometimes not-so-spare).  one
of my life's ambitions is for alan or linus to buy me a beer and say "good
patch".  :)

the upgrade from 2.2.16 to 2.2.18 shouldn't be a problem (no guarentees
though).   the upgrade to 2.4.0 might require certain things like procps and
almost certainly modutils to be updated.

2.4.0 has new ISA probing features that 2.2.* didn't really have.  ISA
probing is considered risky business, but the 2.4 series seems to have a new
way of probing ISA devices safely (i don't know the details yet).  so it's
possible that you'll have better hardware support.  or at least, more
convenient hw support.

otoh, some of the drivers got split, like the rtl8129/8139.  so you'll have
to do a little reading during menuconfig.

realize that you can't hurt anything by compiling a kernel, as long as you
remember the following rules:

1. don't delete a working kernel.  don't delete it's /lib/modules.  make
    sure you leave its lilo.conf entry in place.
2. run lilo.  if you can't remember if you ran lilo, run lilo.
3. use oldconfig if you have a .config in the old source tree.
4. make use of vox-tech.  we've got some really great people here.

if something goes wrong, you can always go back to the working kernel.

pete

ps- jay, if you're running a 2.2.16 kernel, you should considering buying
(or downloading) a more recent version of the distro and upgrading.   :)