RE: Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2

  • Subject: RE: Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_admin@mMAPSy-deja.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:33:41 -0800

Pete, your work ethic gives me an inferiority complex (to be a maintainer and an
advocate- that's a lot of work!), nevertheless, maybe Jay would appreciate your
thinking on: if he upgrades, are there any obvious gotchas he should be aware of, or
can he expect all his hardware/software should still work ok after the upgrade? I'm
making a basic assumption he is not running anything too exotic. If everything worked
ok with the old, should he expect it to be ok with the new (in general)? I'm assuming
so, but I think he wants to avoid "buyer's regret" and/or a major hassle with having
to revert to the old system that "just worked". Sounds like he whould be ok, from what
you've already stated. Thanks for the info. you've already given. UA

>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:13:52 -0800
>To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>Subject: Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2
>From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org>
>
>heh... but even if you want to talk about "bug free" versus "stable", it's
>STILL not true!
>
>before a feature freeze (a "pre" version of an odd numbered kernel), tons
>of new features go into a kernel.
>
>in 2.4.1, new support went in for reiserfs.  certainly there are bugs in
>this new feature.
>
>what you're saying that "2.4.1" has less bugs than "2.4.0" just because 1 is
>greater than 0?   i would say it has MORE bugs, since it has new features
>which haven't really gone through a 10 million person test cycle.  it's only
>been tested by a few people until it makes its way into a production kernel.
>
>as another example, a class of buffer overflows were introduced into 2.2.16
>and didn't get caught until 2.2.18.  certainly 2.2.16 isn't necessarily more
>bug free than 2.2.15?
>
>i guess what i'm saying is that it's hard to say whether one kernel is more
>or less stable or bug free than another.   it's too big of a program, and
>gets too much features added with each version to say "2.4.1 is less buggy
>than 2.4.0".   new features == new bugs.
>
>in fact, consider that 2.4.0 lived life for almost 6 months as a feature
>frozen 2.3.whatever-pre-whatever.  i'd be willing to bet that 2.4.0 was
>pretty darn bug free!   then linus and alan screwed it up by adding more
>features.
>
>;-)   just playing devil's advocate here.
>
>pete
>
>On Tue 27 Feb 01, 11:01 AM, William Kendrick said:
>> >
>> > even numbered kernels are called stable.
>> > odd numbered kernels are call beta.
>> >
>> > or were you giving us the official bill-kendrick kernel versioning?    :)
>>
>> I guess I'm thinking "bug free" not "stable." :)
>>
>> -bill!
>
>--
>"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
>    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p