Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2

heh... but even if you want to talk about "bug free" versus "stable", it's
STILL not true!

before a feature freeze (a "pre" version of an odd numbered kernel), tons
of new features go into a kernel.

in 2.4.1, new support went in for reiserfs.  certainly there are bugs in
this new feature.

what you're saying that "2.4.1" has less bugs than "2.4.0" just because 1 is
greater than 0?   i would say it has MORE bugs, since it has new features
which haven't really gone through a 10 million person test cycle.  it's only
been tested by a few people until it makes its way into a production kernel.

as another example, a class of buffer overflows were introduced into 2.2.16
and didn't get caught until 2.2.18.  certainly 2.2.16 isn't necessarily more
bug free than 2.2.15?

i guess what i'm saying is that it's hard to say whether one kernel is more
or less stable or bug free than another.   it's too big of a program, and
gets too much features added with each version to say "2.4.1 is less buggy
than 2.4.0".   new features == new bugs.

in fact, consider that 2.4.0 lived life for almost 6 months as a feature
frozen 2.3.whatever-pre-whatever.  i'd be willing to bet that 2.4.0 was
pretty darn bug free!   then linus and alan screwed it up by adding more
features.

;-)   just playing devil's advocate here.

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p