Re: [vox-tech] Laptops

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Laptops
  • From: Bill Broadley <bill@math.MAPSucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:06:51 -0800

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 08:42:03PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I know that it's uncool to ask a question that just been asked and
> answered within  the last few weeks.  However, when this issue came up I
> wasn't interested in it.  Now, however, I am.  So here's the question
> again.  What brand of laptop is recommended for Linux?
>
> Thank you.

Purpose? (desktop replacement?  desktop enhancement? commuting use? travel?)
Size? (ultra portable, mini, small, fullsize)?
Price? ( cheap/used, $2k, $3k, $4k, $5k)
LCD? 10-15", 1024x480 -> 1600x1200
Pointing device? (Many people really care, some dells have both)
Compatibility/architecture/os? (Apple's g4 could be a consideration)
Wireless (some have the ability internally)

On the low end the sony picture book is popular, very portable.  THe
vaio's are pretty popular on the low ish end, dell inspirons are
more expensive and popular, then the ibm thinkpads are more expensive
and popular.

Of all the features I've seen the coolest are nice LCD's, and
onboard/mini-pci for modem, ethernet, and wireless.

---
Bill