RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

  • Subject: RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_admin@my-MAPSdeja.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:49:56 -0800

Robert, wow, real-world stuff... Y'know, I hate to admit it, and others might deny it,
but VMWare with Office might be your best bet. There's no denying that Office works
great on Windows (much better than IE on Windows, which has a tendency to crash
unexpectedly). This *is* a major drawback to serious Linux desktop use. I hope Linux
developers are taking note. Will it take a *for profit* company to make a good office
suite for Linux? Someone chime in with an opinion on Abi or GnomeOffice, if you have
used them. No serious Linux user should *have to* resort to Microsoft! ; )

>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 22:13:51 -0800
>From: "Robert G. Scofield" <rscofield@afes.com>
>To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
>
>Deja User wrote:
>
>> On a related note, since I mentioned it earlier, Star Office has a lot of good
>functionality, but it is very slow to respond (which is a major drawback, IMO). If
>SUN can get Star Office to work more quickly and keeps improving it, why not use it?
>I think SUN will support it for at least a few years. I dislike having to change
>horses in midstream, so I try to find things I can stick with for a while. I don't
>trust Corel and/or WordPerfect all that much. vi is still the best text-only editor I
>have ever used (and I'm sure emacs means as much to its adherents)! UA
>
>I can't stand StarOffice.  WordPerfect is more intuitive.  It's easier for me than
>either MSWord, which I admit I don't have that much experience with, or Star Office.
>Somehow I can run WordPerfect without any training.  I've got a book on Star Office,
>and still have a hard time trying to figure things out.
>
>Start Office is unstable.  It crashes big time, and won't come up afterward.  I have
>to get into the set up and run the repair program to get it going.  It's very
>interesting that they have the repair program.  It's as if they are expecting you to
>need it.
>
>I was looking forward to getting rid of Star Office completely, until I discovered
>that it could accept the pasting from Netscape.  The reason behind my starting this
>thread in the first place is that there is a greater than 50% chance that I'm going
>to start a contract legal research law practice in mid-March, and my dream is to have
>a Linux only computer system for my business.  If you know anything about software
>for law offices, you know that this is not going to be easy.   Star Office's big test
>is going to be next Tuesday when I try to paste excerpts from
>Westlaw into it, then save the document as an MSWord file, and then try to read it
>with Word.  If that works, then I'll have a Linux only system for my business.  If
>not, then I'll probably end up with VMWare (and buying Microsoft products!).  If it
>doesn't work, then Star Office goes out the window here.
>
>Bob
>
>--
>Robert G. Scofield
>rscofield@afes.com