January 6: Social gathering

RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

  • Subject: RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_aMAPSdmin@my-deja.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:17:30 -0800

On a related note, since I mentioned it earlier, Star Office has a lot of good
functionality, but it is very slow to respond (which is a major drawback, IMO). If SUN
can get Star Office to work more quickly and keeps improving it, why not use it? I
think SUN will support it for at least a few years. I dislike having to change horses
in midstream, so I try to find things I can stick with for a while. I don't trust
Corel and/or WordPerfect all that much. vi is still the best text-only editor I have
ever used (and I'm sure emacs means as much to its adherents)! UA

>On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 11:50:10AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>> Harry Souders wrote:
>> That's  true of the WordPerfect8 suite for windows.  However, the WordPerfect 8 for
>> Linux is great.
>
>I like WP8 for linux, but think of it as a dead-end solution. Much like
>WP5.1 for dos is/was good, but isn't going anywhere. Back in the WP5.x
>days I believe there were unix versions. I would like liked to haved
>used them, if for no other reason to see how they compared to the dos
>version.
>
>> What didn't you like about the suite that you saw in action?
>
>The windoze or linux version?
>The windoze version was slow and was a memory hog. It would crash often.
>The VBA support that Corel put in to it worked poorly, wasn't well
>documented. Trying to write a VBA program for WP2000 was much for
>difficult than doing the same thing in Word. I settled into using the
>old PerfectScript.
>
>I only saw a few demos of the linux version. It was slow, it was a
>memory hog, and it was buggy. Things worked and initially looked good,
>but watching the program crash (this happened more than once) while the
>salesman was giving a demo took away any confidence I had in the product.

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/