Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> > Except that I use "button 3", I do that all the time.  Button 2 pulls up a
> > popup menu.
>
> That's weird.  Every app I use that understands some-button-to-paste
> uses button 2. (Middle)

I think that is button 3.  It is the one that if you only have a two
button mouse will be emulated by clicking both buttons 1 and 2
simultaneously.

> <snip>
> > I presumed that what you meant by this was that when you are in Netscape,
> > the popup menu pulled up by button 2 includes a Cut/Copy/Paste that uses a
> > hidden buffer independent of the selection.
>
> Woah.  I need to see your box.  If I have something like an URL "copied"
> (ie, highlighted in, say, an Xterm), and then I click button-2 in a Netscape
> window (note: NOT on a link, however!), it's just as if I typed the
> URL in the "Go to:" / "Location:" field, or a "Open Location" dialog.

That is a good tip to know.  I always clicked in the Location: field and
it pasted where I clicked.  As you say, clicking with button 3 replaces
the Location field automatically and goes there.

I have to admit that for text-only copy-pastes for applications that don't
provide much support for format variety (or don't even support mousing, as
with most xterm apps), the selection-paste method does use fewer
operations.  It is limiting, though, when the destination app does use the
mouse.

> > However, I have not been able
> > to figure out how to put text from an xterm into that buffer, so it is
> > pretty useless.
>
> What kinda mouse do you have!? :)

While that is irrelevant, for the record it is a PS2-compatible
"A4Tech" with the "middle/third" button at the thumb position on the left
side.  I run it through gpm and redirect to X through /dev/gpmdata in
MouseSystems protocol.

If you look at the pop-up menu in netscape, that copy/paste support is
more like Win/Mac approach, depending on an "invisible" buffer that is
independent of the selection.  That is the buffer I am referring to that
is NOT related to an xterm selection.