Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:30:43PM -0800, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> I find that highlight-based selections don't allow me as much freedom to
> make a place for my paste as having an explicit Copy operator like Alt-C
> does.  For example, I see an interesting URL, select it, go to Netscape,
> left-click at the beginning or end of the URL that is already present, and
> then select and delete the previous URL.  Using an explicit copy command,
> I can select, Copy, select the old URL, optionally delete itand
> Paste, or just Paste and the old URL is replaced.  The inability to select
> again before pasting is very noticeable to me.

I feel like a heretic, but I prefer the windows Ctrl-C, Ctrl-P, Ctrl-V
(why V?) way. I wonder if anyone has tried to modify X11 to work this
way, and if so would it muck up X11 apps?

What I am seeing, from a casual linux users point of view, is that X11
clipboard is really limited. To do interestin things requires a fair
amount of programming (my guess) that is left to the application. Now,
enter Gnome and KDE and they add more functionality, but no commonality.
So, it seems to me that if the functionality was added to X11 then all
X11 apps would have the potential to take advantage of the advanced
clipboard features.