Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.MAPSdavis.ca.us
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:08:20 -0800

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> > It would be nice if X11 had multiple clipboards and was able to handle
> > different types of clipboard data. I 'think' the X11 clipboard is
> > strictly text whereas the M$ clipboard can differentiate and handle
> > different data (ie. In M$ Office you can paste as text, as formatted
> > word text, etc).
>
> No, this isn't true.  The way X cut/paste (actually, "select/paste" is
> a better term) works is that when an object is selected by the user, the
> application should let the X server know "I have the selection."
>
> At this point, when a user requests to paste that selection, the program
> being pasted into negotiates with the selection-owner about exactly what
> kind of data to be pasted (eg, formatted text, plain text, "I can't accept
> the paste because the selection is an image and I'm an xterm" :) ).

Do you know of a good place to read about this process... preferably on
the Web?  This is similar to the methods used by Mac and Windows, but my
search for discussion of this topic in X only lead me to find XStoreBytes,
XStoreBuffer, XFetchBytes, and XFetchBuffer, which a) don't seem to
include a specification of data type, nor b) include a way to delay the
rendering of the data into the buffer until the data is actually
requested.

> If another program "gets the selection," the X server tells the current
> owner "someone else grabbed the selection," at which point the program,
> say, usually unhighlights the text.  (in GTK+ apps, they often change
> the highlight to something with less contrast).

"Usually"?  I haven't found this to be "usual" at
all.  (click... click... click... three copies of the data appear)

> However, I do agree that X11 cut/paste inherently needs help.  But it's
> mainly in the applications that do cut/paste'ing.  (I really hate the
> way StarOffice doesn't support highlight-based selections or middle-click
> pasting like _every_ _other_ X11 app :) )

I find that highlight-based selections don't allow me as much freedom to
make a place for my paste as having an explicit Copy operator like Alt-C
does.  For example, I see an interesting URL, select it, go to Netscape,
left-click at the beginning or end of the URL that is already present, and
then select and delete the previous URL.  Using an explicit copy command,
I can select, Copy, select the old URL, optionally delete itand
Paste, or just Paste and the old URL is replaced.  The inability to select
again before pasting is very noticeable to me.