Re: [vox-tech] chown and chgrp problems

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] chown and chgrp problems
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <MAPSp@dirac.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:10:42 -0800

you haven't been to meetings in a very long time.   :-(

On Wed 21 Feb 01, 10:11 AM, Robert G. Scofield said:
> I'm having problems with chown and chgrp.  I've just configured
> /etc/fstab so that the Windows partition on this dual boot machine will
> automatically mount when I start Linux.  I want to be able to
> efficiently edit documents on the Windows partition with WordPerfect 8
> for Linux.  When I try to do this I get a message that says that to edit
> my documents I have to save them under a new name because the Windows
> documents are read only.

you can't chown/chgrp these files.  presumably, you tried to do this as root
and still got the error message.

the reason for this is because vfat/msdos has no concept of ownership or
group.  the closest concept they have is "attribute" (which ext2 has also,
by the way.  see man chattr).   linux won't let you change ownership or
group because there's nowhere on the vfat filesystem that holds this
information.

that's that.  now what can you do about?

1. looking at the man page for mount, i see that there's an option for fat
   style filesystems:

        uid=value and gid=value

   so assuming bob is uid 200, gid 200, try:

        mount -t vfat -o uid=200,gid=200 /dev/hda1 /C

replacing the right parameters for uid, gid, partition and mount point.

2. check out the attrib DOS command if the above doesn't work.

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p