Re: [vox-tech] chown and chgrp problems

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] chown and chgrp problems
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dMAPSirac.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:10:40 -0800

On Wed 21 Feb 01, 10:59 AM, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us said:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
>
> > I'm having problems with chown and chgrp.  I've just configured
> > /etc/fstab so that the Windows partition on this dual boot machine will
> > automatically mount when I start Linux.  I want to be able to
> > efficiently edit documents on the Windows partition with WordPerfect 8
> > for Linux.  When I try to do this I get a message that says that to edit
> > my documents I have to save them under a new name because the Windows
> > documents are read only.
>
> Your problems began when you mounted at boot time.  MSDOS/VFAT filesystems
> do not understand the concept of ownership, so the operating system
> simulates it in RAM while the volume is mounted, based on who mounted the
> volume.  I don't know of a way to have the volume mounted through fstab
> while controlling the volume ownership status, but it is pretty easy to
> mount it yourself.

i think this would work:

/dev/hda5       /C            vfat    uid=100,gid=100,rw           0      3

the man pages say that <pass> only controls the order in which the fs is
fsck'ed, but i don't think this is entirely correct.  i think it's also used
to determine which filesystems are mounted at boot time; 0 indicating to not
mount the device at boot.

(if i'm wrong, i'd like to know because i can't see how else this is done).

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p