Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 04:13:35PM -0800, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> This is my note to say that I finally got the new
> kernel compiled on my machine at home...
>
> Thanks for all the helping posts that led me on my
> way.  Here is a brief discussion of how I got the
> thing compiled (this is on a RHL 7 box).  Hope that
> this will help out some people that are having
> problems with this:
>
> 1. Get gcc 2.96-64.  This is an update from redhat and
> it worked for me.  I have heard about problems with
> the earlier version that shipped with the disto.

Nonono - this is a very unstable development release.  Even though its
an update.  You want something reliable, use gcc-2.95.2, the latest
stable release.  And to RedHat, I say "Phooey!" for releasing a
production distribution with such a buggy compiler.

> 2. Get the kernel source.  I used 2.4.1, but that was
> merely a 'bleeding edge' desire.
>
> 3. Get the updates to modutils (2.4.0) and e2fsprogs
> (1.19-0, I believe).  I got them as rpms from
> valinux's site (three cheers for the guys at valinux).
>  Oh, and if you use ppp, there is a new version of
> that, as well (2.4.0).
>
> And I think that is about all you need to compile your
> kernel.  Everything else that I needed was included.
>
> The problems that I was having earlier is this:  I was
> trying to install scsi-ide support (ie all ide drives
> are emulated as scsi) for the cd burning.  But, in
> previous versions of the kernel, I could keep the ide
> settings for my hard drive, and just pass the cdrom
> writer to the ide-scsi module.  But with the new
> kernel (this is me guessing right now), all my ide
> drives were being interpreted as scsi.  So when I was
> passing boot parameters to the kernel, and specifying
> 'root=/dev/hda5' , I should have been specifying
> 'root=/dev/sda5' (I _think_ that is how you specify
> scsi hard drives, but that might very well be wrong).

This can't be, because I also have a cd burner, and use scsi-ide
support, and all my ide drives ('cept the one I indicated as scsi) are
still ide drives.  Had no problem with 2.4.1.

> That is the story, although it is rather long winded
> and a bit fuzzy in places.  Now I just need to keep
> tweaking it until it's purrrrfect.  As far as the new
> kernel, everything works just fine.  Granted, it's
> only been working for about 12 hours now, but so far
> so good.
>
> If there are any questions, comments, etc. I would be
> happy to help out as much as I can.
>
> Thanks again for all the help.
>
> Jan

Well, I'm glad that you have it working.  I'd suspect its more related
to getting the current modutils more than anything.

It could also be that some bugs in 2.4.0 which affects your system
were fixed in 2.4.1.

Micah