Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

Hey all:

This is my note to say that I finally got the new
kernel compiled on my machine at home...

Thanks for all the helping posts that led me on my
way.  Here is a brief discussion of how I got the
thing compiled (this is on a RHL 7 box).  Hope that
this will help out some people that are having
problems with this:

1. Get gcc 2.96-64.  This is an update from redhat and
it worked for me.  I have heard about problems with
the earlier version that shipped with the disto.

2. Get the kernel source.  I used 2.4.1, but that was
merely a 'bleeding edge' desire.

3. Get the updates to modutils (2.4.0) and e2fsprogs
(1.19-0, I believe).  I got them as rpms from
valinux's site (three cheers for the guys at valinux).
 Oh, and if you use ppp, there is a new version of
that, as well (2.4.0).

And I think that is about all you need to compile your
kernel.  Everything else that I needed was included.

The problems that I was having earlier is this:  I was
trying to install scsi-ide support (ie all ide drives
are emulated as scsi) for the cd burning.  But, in
previous versions of the kernel, I could keep the ide
settings for my hard drive, and just pass the cdrom
writer to the ide-scsi module.  But with the new
kernel (this is me guessing right now), all my ide
drives were being interpreted as scsi.  So when I was
passing boot parameters to the kernel, and specifying
'root=/dev/hda5' , I should have been specifying
'root=/dev/sda5' (I _think_ that is how you specify
scsi hard drives, but that might very well be wrong).

That is the story, although it is rather long winded
and a bit fuzzy in places.  Now I just need to keep
tweaking it until it's purrrrfect.  As far as the new
kernel, everything works just fine.  Granted, it's
only been working for about 12 hours now, but so far
so good.

If there are any questions, comments, etc. I would be
happy to help out as much as I can.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jan