Re: [vox-tech] reading gzip'd files inline

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:23:28AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > question:
> >
> > given
> >     doc.txt.gz
> >     doc.ps.gz
> >
> > how do i read these file in line?   i've tried:
> >
> >     gzip -d -c doc.txt.gz | vi
> >     gzip -d -c doc.ps.gz | gv
> >
> > but neither vim nor gv like getting data from stdin.  vim complains about no
> > controlling tty and gv just displays nothing.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > --
> > "It's better to be safe than assimilated."                   p@dirac.org
> >                       -- Chakotay                            www.dirac.org/p
>
> You might try:
>
> vi <(gzip -d -c doc.txt.gz)
> gv <(gzip -d -c doc.ps.gz)
>
> Which will only work if the program doesn't mind fifos and doesn't try
> to use things like ftell(), fseek(), etc.

I guess the first command must include the "-" argument.

It is interesting to consider what must be happening here when you
actually do put the "-" in ... you have redirected vi input from the
terminal to a pipe.  Since vim actually handles this okay, it must be
reading to the end of the pipe and then resetting control back to the
controlling terminal by itself so you can give it editing commands.
Quite a slick trick. :)