Re: [vox-tech] Run Level Question

You might check the "From Power Up To Bash Prompt Howto"
for a description of the boot process. Level3 is the normal
runlevel with networking enabled. Level2 is similar, but without the
network initialization. Level5 is also frequently used if you have a
graphical boot prompt.

Based on the run level you are in, a set of scripts will be executed in a
corresponding directory. /etc/rc.d/rc3.d for level 3 etc. These are
usually just symlinks to scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

There isn't an inherit advantage to just running at, say, level2 because
you aren't always online. Just compare the contents of rc2.d and rc3.d and
adjust as you see fit by removing/adding symlinks.

But I suppose you could boot into level2 and put things like sendmail only
in rc3.d and do a 'telinit 3' when you dialup...

--
Dale Bewley - Bewley Internet Solutions Inc. http://bewley.net/