Re: [vox-tech] Suggestions for a good web browser

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Suggestions for a good web browser
  • From: Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edMAPSu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:34:12 -0800

I've recently started using Opera 5.something.
I've been very impressed by it. It renders pretty consistently, and somewhat
faster than netscape. I seems to cache really well, as going back and forward
between pages is very fast. It does take a little while to get used to, since
it likes to keep everything together, unlike other browsers that spawn windows
all over the place... and  yes, unless you buy it, it displays banner ads in
a corner, but 1) you can tailor the ads to your liking (ie, computer ads) and
2) the ads are rarely flashy and 3) they're not very dynamic. Anyway,
I think what i'm most impressed with is the binary size and memory footprint
though...

Galeon is also pretty nice. It is slower than opera, but much faster than
Netscape. You need to install a devel version of Mozilla first, but that's
not too bad. It's nice to be able to use the Mozilla engine without the
clutter of the Mozilla interface + mail reader, etc.

Heh, and for quick browsing, or when memory is really tight, I still
occasionaly use mMosaic. It renders pretty well, as long as the pages aren't
very fancy. But it does tables, jpeg, etc pretty well. I'm sure you can still
find it on freshmeat, because that's where I found it.

Also, I'm not if you're running navigator standalone or communicator, but
navigator standalone beats the heck out of communicator when it comes to load
time and memory footprint. Aside from the annoying crashes, I still use
netscape when I get tired of the other browsers. After all these years, I've
gotten used to the interface.

-Gabriel