Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

On Thu 15 Feb 01,  2:29 PM, Jan Wynholds said:

> --- Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
> > dang,  hate to do follow up on my own post, but...
> >
> > On Thu 15 Feb 01, 11:37 AM, Peter Jay Salzman said:
> > > hi jan,
> > >
> > > jeff took the words right out of my mouth.   :)
> > >
> > > but let me add to it.  "root=" is indeed a _VALID_
> > parameter to pass to the
> > > kernel, but it doesn't do what you think it
> > should.
> > >
> > > when you pass "root=" to the kernel, it tells the
> > kernel HOW to mount the
> > > root filesystem.  the valid entries are "ro", "rw"
> > or "debug".   as you can
> > > imagine, ro means to mount / as read only.   rw
> > means to mount / as read
> > > write, and debug effects the "level of importance"
> > for which messages are
> > > printed to the console during kernel
> > initialization.
>
> I'll try that. Thanks :)
>

> > > what you want to do is tell the kernel where to
> > FIND the filesystem, not how
> > > to mount it.   to do that, you use the "root="
> > parameter as a lilo
> > > directive, not as a kernel argument (which is what
> > append= does).
>
> I tried that with the same outcome.  I saw somewhere
> in lilo documentation that that was the way to pass
> arguments to the kernel (which was what I was trying
> to do when I posted), but that didn't work either.
>
> I saw this on deja, has anyone else seen this (it's
> about the new devfs on 2.4.x)?
>
> "For example, what was "/dev/hda" is now likely to
> appear
>    somewhere under "/dev/ide0" This change
> dramatically increases the
>    available namespace for devices and allows for
> easier integration of
>    USB and similar device systems."
>
> If my root fs is on /dev/hda5, would this now be
> /dev/ide05?  I have no clue.  Maybe I have to pass
> something like: 'root=/dev/ide02' or
> 'root=/dev/ide05'?  Has anyone seen this before, or am
> I barking up the proverbial wrong tree?

jan, stay away from devfs for now.  it's for developers, testers and
hermits.   :)   you want to go with the crufty unix way of doing things for
now.

if you have devfs marked, definitely unmark it.  i can't viddy things
working much horrorshow with the new way device files are supposed to work.

but to answer your question, yeah, i can sort of see why that would sour
your compiler milk if the kernel was looking for the wrong device for the
root system.   (sheer speculation on my part, but it does make a little
sense).

hang in, there jan.  it HAS to work sooner or later!

pete