Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

hi jan,

On Wed 14 Feb 01, 12:28 PM, Jan Wynholds said:
> This is a story of my frustration.
>
> I tried to compile the kernel 2.4.0 that lugod passed
> out a while back.

<LUGODSTOCK>
DON'T DO THE BLUE KERNEL.  IT'S BAD STUFF, MAN.   ;)
</LUGODSTOCK>

> I have been eagerly awaiting the
> chance to do so.  So last night, I pulled up my
> sleeves, and tried to get the darn thing running.  No
> dice.  Here is what happened (as I remember, as this
> was in the wee small hours of the morning).
>
> # make mrproper

don't do this for a fresh kernel.   it deletes your .config file, which is
definitely not what you want.   you shouldn't ever have to make mrproper; if
you want to "start over", then do a make clean.

> Then I edited the makefile so that it would use kgcc
> instead of gcc.
>
> Then I tried
>
> # make xconfig

making a kernel is a ceremony.  keep the process holy, and use menuconfig.

all aesthetics aside, don't do make xconfig.   first, copy your .config from
the previous kernel source (debian provides it out of the box, of course.
last i checked, redhat didn't.  of course.)

then do:

        make oldconfig

this will copy all your previous settings to a new .config.  but when it
comes to a config question that wasn't in the previous kernel, it'll stop
and ask you what you want your answer to be.

after make oldconfig does its stuff, then you can go back and do a make
menuconfig (or xconfig if that's your poison) and change stuff around.

it saves you a lot of work, and in the end, if you have a previously working
kernel, almost guarentees your new kernel works too.   makes sure you
don't do something absent-mindedly.   like not adding ext2 support for your
kernel.   yes, i've done exactly that.   ;)

> That went great
>
> # make dep
>
> No errors
>
> # make bzImage
>
> Some warnings, but everything ran to completion.
>
> # make install
>
> Everything kosher.
>
> # make modules
>
> No errors, really.
>
> # make modules_install
>
> During the make install, lilo reported no errors, and
> everything seemed fine.  Only when I rebooted and
> tried it out, it hung.

wait -- you left out the most important part.

did you actually make it to linux land, or did it hang in lilo land?

as jeff said to me, "that does not compute".   :-)

> I really was frustrated when I went to
> sleep.  Should I be trying the 2.4.1 kernel?

if it's free and you have a good connection, why not?

the cd is useful mostly for systems that don't have a fast connection (or no
connection).  like at our installfests.  :)

pete

--
"It's better to be safe than assimilated."                   p@dirac.org
                      -- Chakotay                            www.dirac.org/p