January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] Software RAID question

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Software RAID question
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynholds@yahoMAPSo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:35:18 -0800

Hey all:

I have been pouring over docs and man pages wondering
about this, and I haven't come up with any real
answers.  So, I have a question for those familiar
with using RAID (and forgive my layman terms for those
who actually know what the heck they are talking
about):

Let's say, for hypothetical purposes, that a RAID
array is set up on a SCSI card (and disks), on a
high-end AMD or PIII, and (for sake of argument) Red
Hat 7.0 for the rest of the os with kernel 2.4.  Oh,
and let's say that we were using RAID5.

Can this kind of setup handle writing rates of <32KB
/sec?  What is the max writing speed that one can
expect?  Does it take lots of tuning/tweaking to get
this kind of performance?  Would other raid levels
improve (writing) performance?

-Thanks

Jan