Re: [vox-tech] Journaling File Systems

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Journaling File Systems
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.oMAPSrg>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:37:43 -0800

On Mon 12 Feb 01,  9:48 PM, Robert G. Scofield said:
> I have two questions about journaling file systems.
>
> 1)  I read an article on journaling file systems in the August issue of
> Linux Magazine just to learn what they were.  However, I've become
> intrigued by the fact that one of the reasons they're supposed to be
> good is because of their ability to quickly recover from crashes caused,
> in the example given by the author, by power outages.  I've read that it
> is possible that "California" (read Northern California) may see many
> rolling blackouts this summer.  So here's a question.  Does anybody out
> there think that the power crisis here presents a reason for Linux
> users, especially those with big hard drives, to switch to journaling
> files systems?

yes, but it's not a compelling reason.

it still won't automatically save your opened staroffice documents.  it'll
help with fscking, but ext2 is pretty robust, and i've never really heard of
someone losing a partition because of a power outtage.

i think a big factor for small folk like us is the "coolness" factor of
having a journaling fs.

> 2)  According to the most recent issue of Linux Magazine, Mandrake and
> SuSe offer reiserfs.  I assume that reiserfs is optional and that ext2
> is the default on these distros, right?

right.  and for the record, there's actually a few more jounaling fs which
are being made ready for linux.  reiserfs is only the first one that made
it.  there's xfs (sgi) and something that ibm has, which i can't remember
the name for.

pete