Re: [vox-tech] notes on 2.4.1

bill, the radeon is a graphics card manufactured by ati.

ati has always claimed to be the biggest, badest video card around, but have
been nothing but limp compared to nvidia and 3dfx.   it would appear that
they have might have finally made good on their claim.

i think the thing that distinguishes it is that it's considered the great
open source hope, now that 3dfx shot itself (fatally) in the foot.  i
believe they've opened the drivers, and there's a lot of buzz about
this being THE card for linux users.  since i haven't really looked into
buying one, i don't know if this is true, but this is what i've been told.

if you go to tom's hardware, they have a really nice article on the radeon,
and it's an EXCELLENT article on 3d rendering too.  loads of juicy details,
but easy to understand.

tom raves about the radeon, but he has the habit of cheering on the underdog
a bit.   mostly, it's warranted, but it's also funny.  i think someone should
buy the intelcanstickituptheirbutt.com and have it redirected to tom's site.
:)

if you read the article (i briefly scanned it, since i'm not overly interested
in computer graphics), the radeon blows away nvidia and 3dfx.  both in speed
and quality.

i know henry was thinking of getting one, and i suggested he wait until the
kernel supported it.   looks like i'm eating crow now.  sorry henry!  :)

anyway, support for the kernel is here, which paves the way for DRI.  i'm

pete

--
"It's a two-way street, but not for them to get into you."   p@dirac.org
     -- A satisfied customer describing his experience       www.dirac.org/p