Re: [vox-tech] Monitor

nicole,

i started writing an email on how to generate a modeline, but gave up.  it's
too big of a subject to put into email.

maybe this will be of help:

a modeline is:

name   dotclock   HR  HSB  HSE  HFL    VR  VSB  VSE  VFL  flags

dotclock is the number of dots per second your videocard card can spit out.
you can find it in the videocard manual.

HR is your horizontal resolution, HFL is the horizontal frame length, which
includes the "dead" margins, as measured in "dots".

   refreshrate =  dotclock /  (HFL * VFL)

note that dotclock, HFL and VFL are all numbers in your modeline, while
refreshrate isn't

make sure your modeline has the maximum allowed dotclock listed by your
videocard.  if it doesn't, by simply increasing the dotclock on your
modeline, you can increase the refreshrate.

alternatively, decrease your HFL or VFL.  you can safely decrease VFL by 2%
without affecting your display at all.  if you decrease HFL, you may need to
"recenter" your X display using xvidtune.

also, some hardware requires HFL to be a multiple of 8.

let me know if you need more assistance.

pete

On Fri 05 Jan 01,  1:27 PM, Nicole Carlson said...

--
Just upgraded to Woody?  Don't have permission to run X?              linux
In Xwrapper.config, change allowed_users from root to console.          -